Baxian八仙 are the eight immortals, whose history goes back to the 12th century.
Each of the eight immortals has special qualities and is revered by Taoists.
The Immortals are:
- He Xiangu何仙姑 holding a lotus flower and can this improve health.
- Cao Guojiu曹國舅 represented with castanets.
- Li Tieguai鐵拐李 walks around with an iron crutch and helps the patients.
- LAN CAIHE藍采和 carrying a basket of flowers.
- Dongbin呂洞賓 carries a sword and is the precursor and master of inner alchemy.
- Han Xiangzi韓湘子 carries a flute and was a pupil of Lu Dongbin
- Zhang Guolao張果老 owns a mule and a bamboo drum.
- Zhongli Quan 钟离权 wearing a fan of feathers and often drinking wine.
In Wudang the martial arts and the culture of the eight immortals are cultivated intensively to this day.